Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Return to Nature



I have been dying for a little nature time lately, so I talked Dan into driving up to Bear Mountain on Saturday. We did a 5 mile hike along the Appalachian trail up to the most amazing look-out point. I got dirty and sweaty and saw lots of trees and caterpillars (gross amounts of them), so I can say that I fulfilled my wish!

On Sunday, we drove to our friends Dawn and Matt's house in Connecticut for a Memorial Day BBQ (more nature). They live in the cutest farm house that is the 2nd oldest house in Westport. They sleep in the hay loft. Seriously. I ate BBQ, slept in the spare barn, got bit by ants and got a little sunburn. It was the perfect weekend.

Dan and I are prepping for our joint birthdays. Mine is on the 3rd and Dan's is on the 6th of June. We are the same age for 3 days and then Dan is older again. Dan will be celebrating his birthday by going to Sammy's Romanian with his guy friends. Sammy's is this dirty restaurant in the Lower East Side that has been around since the beginning of time. They have giant steaks, vodka frozen in blocks of ice, a really cheesy keyboard player and dancing....lots of dancing with the entire restaurant. We describe the experience as "attending a barmitzvah in your friend's 1970's basement". I, on the other hand, will be celebrating my birthday in a very sophisticated way with sunset cocktails on my friend Jenn's beautiful deck in downtown NYC and then a dance performance at the Guggenheim. We will be celebrating jointly with a giant BBQ on Sunday. It will be birthday madness for days and days. I can't wait!

2 comments:

Corinne said...

Happy Birthday on the 3rd. I wish I was there to spend the day with you, sounds like you'll be having a great time. Tell Dan happy birthday too.

Teri said...

The angle that your picture is taken looks like you could fall off that hill at any moment. It makes me nervous to look at it. It looks really beautiful there. I'm glad you got out. NICE! I need more pictures of the weekend. I'd upload mine, but we didn't do anything because it RAINED all weekend.
I didn't know that Dan's birthday was right after yours, that is cool, no wonder you are both such cool peeps.

I tagged you, see my blog for details.