Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Wedding Extravaganza

Dan and I just got back from a super fun mini trip to Puerto Rico. We were scouting the hotel and fun activities for our upcoming wedding. Planning a wedding is a really interesting endeavor, especially for 2 people who don't like to be the center of attention. We spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to divvy out the attention to other people. There will be a few new babies and several teenage nieces and a nephew in attendance, so that should be a good distraction! Maybe someone can drink too much and pass-out, that would also be a good distraction.

I have to admit that I am really proud of our planning skills. We decided to forego all the "wedding" stuff and just spend the money we have on good food, a fab DJ and a really cool beach location. There will be no:
1. Bouquet toss
2. Daddy daughter dance
3. First couple dance
4. Wedding cake
5. Wedding favors
6. Ceremony programs
7. Wedding photographer

But, rest assured that there will be:
1. A wedding ceremony performed by our 2 friends Mindy and Erika. That should be good for a few laughs and a few tears.
2. A song by my niece Summer....this will be good for some tears, but no laughs. She is awesome!
3. Casual beach attire that doesn't pinch or bunch or give you a stomach ache
4. Puerto Rican fritters for appetizers
5. Pina coladas and Mojitos!
6. Crazy European DJ who is in full agreement on the no Disney, Celine Dion, or generally cheesy music rule. No matter how much you try to bribe him, he will not play "You Look Wonderful Tonight" "You're Still the One". Don't even try!
7. Reception in a nightclub. It is seriously a nightclub.
8. A ridiculous after-party for all those who are interested

Confession: I have done none of the wedding planning up until now. Dan has done all of it! He picked the hotel, worked with the event planner, coordinated the menu, picked the booze and set-up the room block. This is weird on so many levels because 1) most guys don't care to be involved in the wedding planning at all 2)usually the girl wants to do all the planning and I don't really care to be involved that much. It's also weird because a huge portion of my job is to plan large corporate events. I am a pro at reviewing event contracts, a wiz at proofing BEOs (Banquet Event Orders....for those of you not in the biz) and pretty much an expert at managing room blocks. Maybe this is along the lines of "I love to paint so much that I wouldn't want to do it as a job, because then it would be work and not fun". Except the opposite of that. Anyway, I am super happy that Dan has taken charge of the planning. He has done an exceptional job so far! I promised him that I would finish the planning so he could relax (honestly, I don't think there is anything left to do except send out the invitations).

On a side note....is everyone as obsessed with this crazy octuplet mom as I am? I am ticked off about the situation in so many ways that I don't have time to go into tonight. But, have you seen that she has a website now? The only thing on the website is a photo of each baby and a link where you can donate money to her. Donate money to her? Are you kidding me? Lady, I already donate money to you....it's called my TAXES!!!

3 comments:

Teri said...

Yay Dan! Way to go! Sean planned ours too. I was too busy at work to do much. I guess that's why all our invitations were emailed, if you didn't have email, you didn't get an invite.
I am totally into hearing about the octuplet mom too. I feel really badly for the kids, that is just way too many kids for one crazy woman to handle. I agree with you 100% I haven't seen her website though.

Amy's Blog said...

Oh Lou, we were seriously considering e-mail invites only! I think that is a fab idea. Miss you!

Chelsi said...

It sounds like so much fun!!! I love weddings with a different spin on them. BTW I agree why should I donate to the octomom, I'm already paying for those babies!