
There's one thing about our neighborhood in Brooklyn that is less than satisfactory. We have a rat problem in our subway station! I am not talking rats on the tracks because that is a problem in all the stations. In fact, I wouldn't really consider it a problem because those little guys are sort of entertaining to watch as you are waiting for the train. The MAJOR problem with our station is the rats on the platform! I was waiting for the train this morning and heard screaming from the group of people standing on the opposite platform, then I saw running...then I saw the culprit, a giant rat. One guy tried to be a hero and was chasing after the rat trying to squish it (which I just thought made it scary and GROSS, I mean....what if he would have killed it with his shoe, then what?) as it ran back into a drainage hole. Then, the little guy wouldn't let up and kept peeking his head out of the hole and then back in again! I think he wanted to catch the train so he could make it to an Upper East Side rat party.
This is not the first time I have seen a rat on the platform at our station. For a while there, I was seeing rats each time I got off the train on my way home from work. I told Dan and he was certain I was exaggerating as he said that he had NEVER in his life in NY seen a rat on the platform. I told him that I don't exaggerate (I do, but that's beside the point) and that I would be comfortable placing a wager on our next subway ride. Rat on the platform = dinner on him. No rat on the platform = dinner on me. We jumped off the train at around 8:00 p.m. (prime rat time) and walked down the platform. We were getting near the end when he looked at me and said,
"looks like I won"
I said, "it's not over yet"
And, just as we approached the garbage can next to the exit gate, a giant rat ran right out in front of us! The timing was perfect, the rat was giant and fast and I think we both screamed. I am not a gracious loser and I am an even worse winner....so I spent the rest of the walk home punching his arm and smiling at him and reminding him that I WON! I WON! And then we went to dinner...on Dan.
Friday, April 3, 2009
Rat on the Platform....AGAIN!
Posted by Amy's Blog at 4:26 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I don't love rats and luckily I've really only seen them in the pet store. On Sean's Mission in the Dominican Republic they had rats the size of dogs.. eeeewwww! They would kill them with whips.. eeewwwwiier! I agree if the guy would have squished the rat then what? I'm glad you won the bet though.
Post a Comment