Friday, April 10, 2009

Peeps and Passover


Being sort of lazy, not living by my parents and not having kids are the 3 main reasons why it is hard for me to celebrate holidays. But, a really crappy Christmas this year, without a tree or presents, taught me that celebrating holidays is fun and I really miss it when I don't make the effort. I don't like the religious aspect of most holidays, but I do love family get-togethers and I love tradition, so I figure I can celebrate the holiday and just keep the religion to a minimum (are deviled eggs religious?).
This year, we will be cooking Easter dinner at our apartment in Brooklyn. We will try to cram 8 people in our non-existent living room around a folding table and kitchen table. We will be serving the traditional Nielson-Family Easter dinner of:
1. spiral cut ham
2. au gratin potatoes (AKA "funeral potatoes")
3. green beans
4. deviled eggs
5. some sort of jell-o salad
6. peeps-galore (my friend John sends me a giant box of peeps every year)

I think I might even plan an egg hunt for the adults! My friend Scott told me that he would show-up in a bunny suit. I think he is kidding, but really hope he isn't.

On another holiday note, Dan and I will be attending our final 2009 Passover dinner tonight. We had a wonderful dinner with Dan's family on Wednesday and will be joining Dan's friend's at their home in Connecticut for another sure-to-be amazing dinner tonight. Dan's mom made the best mashed potatoes for her dinner. When I asked her how much butter she put in them to make them taste so good, she replied "I only put 2 tablespoons of butter in them, but I put 8 ounces of sour cream and 8 ounces of cream cheese." 'Nuff said!

Happy Holidays to everyone and may the power of the peeps be with you!
p.s. The pic below is of Dan at Passover dinner with his matzoh bib.

0 comments: