Monday, September 28, 2009

How Jewish are You?


Happy Yom Kippur!

From Wikipedia:
Yom Kippur, also known as the Day of Atonement, is the holiest day of the year for religious Jews. Its central themes are atonement and repentance. Jews traditionally observe this holy day with a 25-hour period of fasting (I'm not doing this)and intensive prayer (nope), often spending most of the day in synagogue services (not doing this either). Yom Kippur completes the annual period known in Judaism as the High Holy Days.


I will be celebrating Yom Kippur by leaving work early and driving to New Jersey to spend the holiday with my in-laws. We will gather together at dusk to enjoy a few prayers together and also a giant table full of food. In attendance will be: strawberry crepes, bagels with lox and cream cheese, plates of cold cuts and cheese, quiche and lots of booze.

I have decided that Jewish holidays are just like Mormon holidays as they revolve around family, friends and food. The only difference is the booze.

May the new year bring you much joy, peace and awesome adventures!

0 comments: